View Single Post
Old September 27, 2015   #40
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
The common problem with farmers markets I know, is a vendor always wants to rise to power and control the market with rules that benefit only himself. These vendors feel entitlement for some reason, and also try to control the customers. Finally the market starts shrinking instead of growing..

I've watched this scenario play out at one local market, and almost at another.
Now that you mention it, I know a certain person who has taken on officer positions at multiple markets...which seems like an obvious conflict of interest to me, because I see the markets as competing against each other. Coke and Pepsi don't share corporate officers.

This person is a very strict enforcer of the producer-only rule, and frequently offends vendors with accusations that they are lying about being a farmer. The really funny part is...the one who frequently calls people a liar for saying they are a farmer has pale, pasty-white shin, and obviously never goes out in the sun. As it turns out, migrant labor does 100% of this vendor's field work.

And that begs the question, if I pay someone to do something for me, did I still do it myself? How is paying someone to pick beans any different than paying for beans?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote