View Single Post
Old March 26, 2011   #1
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Default How do you determine the time to plant?

I'd like to get everyone's input on this because I have somewhat of a dillemma. I've got tomato plants that are quickly becoming rootbound, which basically tells me I probably planted my seeds a couple of weeks too early.

I have set out two tomato plants, but am holding off as long as possible on the rest. Its not warm enough yet, at least not consistently, but my plants are outside most of the time anyway. If there is a danger of dropping below 40, they come inside which has only happened once in the last two weeks.

But here is the thing: last I heard the soil temperature was at 56 degrees, maybe slightly cooler now, but like I said, the plants are outside anyway. So is it better to just plant them in the soil or what? My plan was to hold off until May if possible, but that ain't likely gonna happen. Is it better that they are in the ground than have them exposed to cool air above ground?

I know some of you folks, depending on your zone, have already set out plants. Since I moved back to northeast Oklahoma from northeast Kansas, I am not as confident in the rhythm of the climate. But the last year I planted in Kansas it was probably midway through April. I'm not concerned about the frost killing them, just getting them in at the best time possible all things considered.

organichris is offline   Reply With Quote