View Single Post
Old April 16, 2011   #86
Tom Wagner
Crosstalk™ Forum Moderator

Jeannine,

I plant potatoes first in March within the greenhouse and in the ground if possible..not this year...and continue until sometime in July. Even though I send out tubers to others to plant, I, too, get potato tubers from other locations...just within the last two day I received 229 varieties! I want to plant so much!

I have one plot on a high glacial till deposit that is so full of stones that the tractor could barely till it last fall...and it is about an acre in size but was worked up with about 7 dump-truck loads of pressed dairy manure. That is where I am planting my first potatoes...so far it has Amey Russet, John Tom Kaighin and Skagit Valley Golds planted in it. I am hoping to plant more this weekend if it does not rain or a least by Tues/Thurs. I may not be able to handle a hoe since my arthritis is flaring up again in my hands...can't close them. and will have to ask my webmaster to do that while I drop tuber sets.
That piece of ground can be worked even just after a rain.

Charlotte.... http://completegarden.files.wordpres...pg?w=185&h=300

I will have to see that somehow you get to grow some of those again or at least some hybrids of it. Maybe Harlequin?
Tom Wagner is offline   Reply With Quote