View Single Post
Old March 31, 2016   #1
Christa B.
Tomatovillian™

Default Share which watermelon and other melons you are growing this year

I am interested to see which watermelon and cantaloupe varieties everybody is growing this year and why you chose them.

These are the watermelons I am definitely growing:

Klondike Blue Ribbon Striped-super sweet and crispy, my favorite

Orangeglo -unique flavor, very sweet, my other favorite

Bradford-once thought to be extinct, the story sounded interesting and the money spent on the seeds went to a good cause. I ordered them last year but will be planting them for the first time this year.

Jubilee-new to me but I have heard good things

Moon and Stars-decent flavor, super crispy

I have room for one more watermelon plant but have seeds for both Ali Baba and Moon and Stars Yellow Fleshed. I have grown them both once before. Ali Baba was just okay imo, It was very sweet and prolific but none of my Ali Baba melons were very crisp and I like a crispy watermelon. Yellow Moon and Stars was the most beautiful watermelon I have ever seen. Only two watermelons grew on my Yellow Moon and Stars plant last year. I picked one a little early and the other one got a major sunburn so I can't really judge the flavor. Still trying to decide which one to go with.

Other Melons I am growing:
Golden Jenny Lind-really like this one
Zatta- last year, my Zatta melon plant just kind of withered away shortly after i transplanted it but I want to give it another try.

Might grow:
Old Time Tennessee-grew it last year, one of the best I ever had but it turns to mush fast You have to really keep an eye on your garden and pick it as soon as it is ready.

Let me know what you are growing
Christa B. is offline   Reply With Quote