View Single Post
Old August 22, 2020   #9
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I don’t try to get all the seeds when I eat a tomato! I cut slices, see what’s left on the cutting board, and decide how many more seeds I want to extract. I leave some seeds and gel for my main tomato-sandwich slices, then scoop a bunch out from the remaining slices, which I also eat. I use the tip of the knife to get the seeds out. I use a cutting board that “folds” so it is easy to get extra juice into the seed-fermenting container.
That's what I do as well most of the time when I eat tomatoes I really like. But I don't bother fermenting the cutting board seeds, I just push the seeds into a small plastic cup, add about 1/2 inch of water and a small amount of oxiclean, like 1/4 tsp, stir it up well, let sit for about 20 minutes and rinse well under a stream of water, rubbing seeds in a strainer, dump them back into the cup now filled with very hot water, stir and pour off any floating bits of flesh, rinse a few more times with clean water in the cup, then a final strain and rub under the tap. I dry seeds in cone coffee filters, use a knife to smear them along one side to dry. Info as to variety, date and comments written beforehand on the filter. I do not combine batches for the season. In case I later find the seeds have been crossed, I can go back a choose another date saved for that variety. These days, I save primarily for my own use, so I don't need big stockpiles of seed.

At the end of the season, if there are some varieties not saved, or if I need more seed, I will use fermentation for larger batches from whatever is left in the garden.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote