View Single Post
Old September 26, 2013   #53
antichevarieta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomNJ View Post
It varies with the size of the batch, the type of tomatoes, and the stove I use. I usually expect about two hours for salsa and maybe three hours for a large batch of thick sauce. During the boil down I am washing, peeling, and chopping the other ingredients, such as garlic, onions, and peppers, as well as washing the canning jars and cleaning the kitchen. I can make the sauce as thick as I want by just continuing the boil down, even to ketchup thickness.

If I want a short cooked, fresher tasting marinara sauce I use more paste tomatoes, squeeze out some gel, and let them drain a bit before milling.

TomNJ/VA
like i say..to each his own..but that is a long amount of cooking time.
i just did 55 kilos with a friend...we cut them, cooked them down for about 45 minutes to an hour while ladeling off all the excess liquid..ran through our passata machine (10 minutes)...then boiled quickly (5 minutes) to place them in glass jars to preserve them.
this is how the italians do it...at least the ones I know here in Parma.
Our sauce is very rich and thick...and Italians do not put anything in their passata when preserving it.
It is used as a sauce itself for pasta, pizza, etc..or as a base for other recipes. In boca al lupo
antichevarieta is offline   Reply With Quote