Thread: Mountain Merit?
View Single Post
Old October 2, 2013   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

On the other hand Mountain Magic is still going strong. I have not found another tomato in this size class that produces such exceptional fruit. The tomatoes are just perfect, they hold for weeks in 50F storage with zero decline in quality. They have moderate problems with septoria, but seem to be ripening fruit faster than they are being defoliated.

Far and away the two best producers this year for me have been grape tomatoes. Tami-G and Solid Gold BOTH have no listed resistance to septoria, but seem to be holding up as well as Iron Lady.

&&&&&

I agree with your comments about Mountain Magic andIdon'teven have to keepit at 50 F tohave itlastaslongas it does. It was bred by Dr.Randy Gardner , formerly with NCSU at Fletcher,NC,now retired, but still breeding tomato varieties.

A few years ago Randy, whom I've known for a long time, sent me a huge number of seeds of Mt Magic, Plum Regal and Smarty, all hybrids, and I included all of them in my annual seed offer here for several years.

As for a grape tomato you might want to look at Smarty, which he also bred as I mentioned above.

Carolyn