View Single Post
Old June 29, 2020   #11
kilroyscarnival
Tomatovillian™

Hi from Orlando! Like you I get a lot of inspiration from this site, and like you I am by no means an expert. I see SuperSweet 100 is indeterminate, so pruning shouldn't be a problem.

With your east-facing balcony, I don't think your toms are getting too much full sun, which believe it or not is sometimes an issue here in Florida summers. I'm about to put some shade cloth on the tops of my cages for the few I have going. My main season was Oct-May, and those were mostly determinates which have finally passed their viability. But I'm experimenting with a few cherry types (repeats from fall) to see if I can tweak them through the summer. I expect I'll see more pests and more issues with water. We finally have our drip irrigation set up, and I'm working on adjusting the right amount; the flip side is we'll get those Florida tropical heavy rains often, and those managed to split the last of my spring fruit this month. I may even put little rain ponchos on over the grow bags so they don't get too drenched if I get to the fruit stage.

Speaking of pruning, I managed to break off the top 5" of the growing tip on one of the Ramblin Stripes a week ago while rearranging. It was tied to a bamboo stake and just ripped. I put the broken off bit in water and it's rooting nicely, and meanwhile, a nice big sucker popped up just beneath the break, so it doesn't look like complete failure.

There are a couple of Central Florida gardening groups on Facebook, not tomato focused, but I've found them a good spot to commiserate about our growing challenges here. A couple of folks really talk up the Everglades tomatoes, and they are apparently a hard to find seed right now, especially with all the quarantine-inspired beginning gardens.

Also like you, I joined years ago, then grew tomatoes for a few years, had one particularly pest and critter filled bad time and gave up. Then moved into an apartment for a bit, and now trying again.

Best of luck... I think they'll do fine. Keep us posted!

Ann
kilroyscarnival is offline   Reply With Quote