Thread: Wasps
View Single Post
Old October 8, 2019   #19
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwort View Post
We also discovered that adding a couple tablespoons of Dawn to a 1-quart spray bottle and using it on hornets flying around will drop them out of the air. This doesn't work as well on wasps, but we generally leave wasps alone anyway since they're helpful and don't have such a bad attitude, like yellow jackets do.
I read about this last year and it works great, especially down in the garden shed where there's always a wasp or two that get in there and buzz me when I enter. Also on the front porch where wasps where they like to start nests up in the ceiling corners. They mess with me when I'm trying to tend the porch plants. The trick is to set that spray bottle to full stream and once you spray you gotta keep at it, hitting the wasp until it just falls. Then comes the shoe squish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwort View Post
We found that a 5-gallon bucket filled with water and an entire bottle of Dawn dishwashing detergent, dumped in the main hole when they're in the nest and least active (a cool night), is a good first start. Repeat daily as needed until you don't see any more and then flood out the rest of the nest with a hose. Dawn is so effective at defatting things that it defats the larvae and prevents them from becoming adults.
This is good to know. There are rarely yellowjackets around here but it seems here comes Dawn to the rescue again.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote