View Single Post
Old May 5, 2011   #4
flyingbrass
Tomatovillian™

I'm in Glendale, very similar weather to Tucson. Temperatures this year have been all over the place. Alternating hot and cold, windy, etc. This is the first year I've ever turned the heater back on after firing up the A/C. And I've lived here for 40 years.

Several nights ago the low on my back porch was 47. Today's high was 99.

My plants are doing pretty well, I guess. I planted March 1. The tallest is to the top of a Texas Tomato cage. Almost all are loaded with blossoms. I was getting a lot of blossom drop, but more have been setting now that I know to shake the plants a couple times a day.

On May 1 I counted how many tomatoes had set so far. Many more will soon, I hope. Of my 15 plants of bigger varieties, 45 fruit had set. The winner was a Cherokee Purple with 8. Tied with 5 each are two other Cherokee Purples and a KBX.

A Sweet 100 cherry planted much later had 24.

My 2 potted Sophie's Choice plants had 29 total.

My first plant in the ground to set was an Eckert Polish, which I noticed on April 12.

Zucchini plants have grown like crazy. They started blooming about a week ago. My peppers (20 in the ground) are doing ok. Most have some peppers set. Today I harvested the first ones (slightly prematurely, but I was hungry): a sweet banana and a cubanelle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5-3.jpg (267.5 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg 5-3_b.jpg (95.1 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by flyingbrass; May 5, 2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: added pics
flyingbrass is offline   Reply With Quote