View Single Post
Old September 11, 2015   #106
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf View Post
That 'belief' is a very plausible possibility. There is also the possibility that different modifier genes exist or that introgressions of B from different species are different alleles with slightly different effect. I don't know enough to say for sure, but I know enough to rule out tangerine.
There are differences between "B" genes see the article I listed earlier http://fic.osu.edu/Orchard_OARDC_20141.pdf, but for a 'home' breeder, I'm not sure that the differential is that significant. From a 'gene/allele' list there are 3 other 'B' gene allelles, two which promote lycopene and the other is a beta carotene promoter (allelle 'm'), but I'm not sure it's out in the world (when you search on that gene and allelle only the other allelles are shown).

PasteBreedingBGenes.jpg

Quote:
How tight is the linkage with sp? If not too tight it might just be a case of a slightly larger growout needed to find an indy Beta from that line.
That's something I haven't been able to find out. I know it's possible (as indicated by JF), but how much a PITA it will be.

Quote:
In the line crossed to JF you should be able to get back to the original colour of JF if that is orange enough for your needs.
That's true. However though I think JF is a great tomato, it's hybrids were very, very juicy. So paste breeding will be arduous (looking for orange, paste (i.e.dryer), taste), but hey the indeterminate part would be easy!

Quote:
Also I believe that the Sungold and Sun Sugar types have the Beta gene, so that might be another source of the Beta gene linked to indeterminate rather than determinate.
They might be beta, I don't know, the genetics seem a little strange to me. I guess it would explain the appearance of 'red' from an orange tomato.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote