Thread: Garlic 2019
View Single Post
Old August 21, 2019   #102
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Good looking porcelains bower! I can't wait to get my Bonavista rounds planted. Next year I may have divided bulbs from them.

zipcode, sad to hear about that virus thing. Do the viruses stay in the soil? Can you plants some new cloves for next year? I have quite many hardneck and softneck varieties and could mail you some, if you need new planting stock. I have also bulbils, which are much safer to start from, but it takes multiple seasons to get divided heads.

I had a learning experience again this year. Last week I had to go on a business trip and on Sunday I trimmed some of the hanging garlics from garage and brought indoors to cure. I ran out of space to spread them, so I left Red Dukes in cardboard box. Humidity indoors is really low, so I did not think that there would be any problems. When I got back from my trip, I noticed that the ones on the bottom of the box had started to get mold on the outer wrappers and roots. I had to cut all of the roots off and strip most of the wrappers away to clean them. The bulbs must have been too moist when I trimmed them even the leaves were totally brown. I should have just left them hanging week longer. I hope I remember this in future.
Last night I trimmed remaining varieties, which were hanging on the ladder in garage, so I spread them on wire racks when bringing indoors. I will make sure that those are dry and well cured, before packing in boxes or paper bags.

The second photo has the varieties originating from Kolkja in Estonia. Left side is Red Russian and right side was named Kolkja Purple, which I think is the prettiest of all my garlics. It has nice satin luster on the wrappers and bright red cloves. It is also quite good keeper.

Sari
Attached Images
File Type: jpg garlic curing racks.jpg (234.7 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Kolkja garlics.jpg (219.1 KB, 79 views)