View Single Post
Old August 12, 2013   #96
BennB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
BennB, this is such a lovely harvest of huge tomatoes.

This Chianti Rose is a monster!
I tried the Chianti Rose for the first time this year. It is a very, very good tasting tomato. Almost seedless. Sweet but still tasting like tomato... but it had very low productivity for me...I grew it in my small greenhouse, in raise beds, and in containers in my driveway...It also has pretty low disease resistance. So I am unlikely to grow it next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
What are you doing with all these fruits?
Eating a lot of them...I like them sliced...maybe with some mozzarella and basil, but mostly with salt and pepper...I've stuffed a few with salmon salad, eat them on tuna melts. I also grow peppers and make fresh salsa. I gravitate to beefsteak tomatoes. I grew up near Brandywine, PA and it would not be summer without fresh tomatoes.

We give a lot away to friends and neighbors, but most go into sauce. We are not fussy about the sauce. We cut up any variety of tomatoes seeds, skin and all... mix them with onion, whole garlic, olive oil and salt in a roasting pan, cook at 425 for a couple hours, emulsify with an immersion blender, add herbs and seasoning to taste, put a quart in a zip lock bag and freeze it.

We've made about 3 gallons so far. A great taste of summer all year long.

I also have a bunch of Heinz 2653 and some Roma VF that should be ripening at the end of the month I plan to dry.
BennB is offline   Reply With Quote