View Single Post
Old April 8, 2009   #12
Cecilia_MD7a
MAGTAG™ Coordinator

Since my doc put me under "house arrest" this week because of an upper-respiratory infection, I've been spending more time in the basement with my tomatoes. I've noticed something strange going on with the earliest toms I planted in late February. Some of the seedlings, like Lemon Boy and Church, are HUGE - I've moved them into yogurt cups already, and will have to put them in larger pots soon. Others that I started on the same day - Paul Robeson and Sungold, for instance - are still in their seed-starters and are very small. This is especially puzzling with Sungold, which is usually vigorous. I'm sure that by next month they'll be growing like weeds, but I don't understand why, with the same conditions and soil, they haven't taken off like the others. Oh, well - at least they germinated, which is more than I can say about Black Cherry - I think I only have one plant out of 20 or so seeds.

I'm a little miffed about the Sungolds, though, as everybod loves 'em and I've promised plants to a lot of people. The "Mid-Atlantics" are all coming along fine, though.