View Single Post
Old November 4, 2015   #72
BackyardFarm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You have to make corn tortillas and or chips to get s full grasp on what you are eating.
It takes one corn tortilla to make four tortilla chips.
You are at the Mexican restaurant and any good one they are unlimited with all the salsa you can eat.
A serving is about ten chips or 2-1/2 tortillas.
The calories are around 140 calories from fat about 60.
Carbohydrates about 19 grams.

A normal Aztec or Zapotec meal will consist of two to three tortillas with some chili peppers and a bit of meat vegetables or egg in them.

Americans notably like things jumbo sized the more and bigger the better.

This is our downfall not so much as the food we eat, (Not including processed food).
Definitely, Worth. I think the reason telling people to start cooking meals helps so much because you realize what exactly goes into those meals! I remember making cola in 4-H and my eyes getting bigger with each heaping tablespoon of sugar we added. Yuck! I still drank soda though until my husband and I both cut it for almost a year.
Making french fries or chips sure takes a LONG time to cut up all those potatoes. You don't want to eat the whole batch after all that work!

I make my own tortillas too. You don't eat a half dozen tacos if you have to roll out each tortilla! Just made them last night, each had 3 tortillas stuffed with a bit of meat and queso crumbled cheese and loaded with lettuce, cabbage, and avocado...and of course tomatoes. Yummy!

We have the best Mexican restaurant in town. My favorite meal there is 2 tacos (just meat, cheese and guacamole in a SMALL tortilla) and rice and beans. Never liked beans until I had theirs. They make theirs from scratch and now I use their recipe all the time.

We did very low carb for about a year because we both needed to lose a lot of weight. Husband lost 100 pounds, I lost 40. I still need to lose another 40 according to the BMI chart but we're back eating (some) carbs. Just being careful not to overdo it like we both used to.

Another thing that makes me shudder is over-hearing parents tell their kids to finish their plates or else. Nope, nope, nope. Then as adults you have to relearn your body's cues of hunger because you're taught to ignore them as kids! It's hard! I'm learning that now!

This conversation has made me realize we're both drinking too much diet soda again. (I swear those old habits just creep back up! ) Time to start making iced tea with stevia and a bit of real cane sugar again and remember my water bottle everywhere I go.

Have you ever tried blue or green masa corn flour? I think that looks like fun!

Last edited by BackyardFarm; November 4, 2015 at 12:16 PM.
BackyardFarm is offline   Reply With Quote