View Single Post
Old December 29, 2019   #16
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Dawg I have never seen a white Creole onion but grow the Red Creole every year with good results...You might want to try two others that do very well for me and they are White Bermuda (Crystal Wax) and Red Burgundy which is a very dependable large red onion.
I've tried the Red Burgandy and there are some Red Creoles in the ground right now (October planted). They both do well for me too. That's why I wanted to try the White Creole. The Yellow Granex (what they use downstate in Vidalia) just doesn't thrive for me so that's why I'm trying the Texas 1015 after hearing good reports about it here.

Quote:
I usually start my seed in pots filled with DE (for ease of separating the onions at planting time) in mid October and set them out whenever they look ready. Sometimes that is in December but usually January. I like to clip the tops a week before setting them out and fertilize them well then let the DE dry out some before getting them out and separating them.
I do mine similarly except for using a seed starting mix instead of DE and start mine in August for October planting. They separate so easily in a bowl of water right before being taken out and planted, roots covered with wet paper towels during the process.

Quote:
I grew both the bells you are trying and they did well but they both make fairly small fruits; but they did last right up til a freeze and they did fine during the heat of late summer when many other varieties start fading. If you can find any Playmaker or Turnpike hybrid peppers I have had really good luck with them the last two years and they produce some of the largest bells I have ever grown.
Thanks for that input! There's always a best place to grow everything and I think I've found it for the peppers. The four beds at the top right corner of the garden get shade until almost noon and that's where the peppers seem to thrive. For the last three years they've grown there and been rotated every year to a different bed in that group. I've even gotten a Keystone Giant and a Neptune bell to make some peppers but they are waaaay to slow to bother with. If I see the Playmaker and Turnpike I might give them a try next year.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote