View Single Post
Old December 13, 2011   #37
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

As for location, I would just set up along the roadside near the edge of town on a fairly
busy street. Perhaps on the N. side of town on Hwy 34 before traffic picks up speed.

As to the heighth of the seedlings, I like about 8-10 inches as they are impressive and no
fears of "root bound" yet.

I have a white canvas sign with tomato red letters simply saying "Heirloom Tomato Seedlings". I had one fold-up table with about 6 varieties and that was it. This year, I
will have two tables and about 16-20 varieties. You will rapidly learn that you know more
about heirlooms than 96% of your customers so they will tend to buy what you "push".
A part of my "pitch" is claiming brandywine is the world's best tasting tomato by consensus but a poor producer so if you are only buying one, don't pick brandywine. If
you are getting at least five (get them thinking bigger), you owe it to yourself to taste a
brandywine. This year, one whole talbe will be brandywines, Brandy Red, Yellow (platfoot), OTV, Sudduth, so my "spiel" will get somewhat altered. Even though at times
I felt like a carnival barker, it was always fun, so enjoy and learn what the cornhusker like
and want and adjust the next year.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote