Thread: Tomato Profits
View Single Post
Old February 16, 2012   #4
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

My results equal Granite26's, however we're in the same part of the country, so similar weather the last two years. I grew over 100 tomato plants the last two years and between the weather, birds and animals I didn't end up with enough for just our family.

But hope springs eternal, and this year I'm planting out 2 or 3 times as many and planting mostly earlier varieties, but in case it's a good weather year I'm hoping to press the kids into helping by offering them a cut of profits. Here's to hoping there are some!

Now, I do it strictly for fun and to have a reason for growing as many things as I do. I spend my days staring at a computer screen, gardening is my escape from that.

For a cash crop, the demand for superhots is crazy, but you'll almost certainly have to ship to sell many. By the pound some of the growers I know where getting $30-40 per pound from restarants and bars doing the hot food challenges and such. Last year I sold USPS small flat rate boxes with superhot assortments like the picture here for $20 each, it worked out to an average of $1 per pepper + shipping.

Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote