View Single Post
Old November 9, 2012   #1
Howard Nemerov

Default Market opportunity for book on container growing

I just read “Growing Tomatoes In Containers - A Simple Guide For A Bountiful Harvest.” I had hopes that I would learn something helpful for growing dwarf tomatoes in pots.
What an absolutely useless book!
It discusses using plastic containers, but that’s pretty much one of those “duh” topics. Many other gardening books will tell you that plastic containers don’t dry out as fast as clay pots, and their lighter weight makes them easier to move.
The author discusses using the right potting mix, but doesn’t offer any recipes or advice based on experience of what worked best for her, beyond buying Miracle-Gro mix. She discusses nutrition, but doesn’t offer any suggestions on how a feeding program might different for potted tomatoes as opposed to planting in beds. Same with the brief mention of watering, staking, etc.
There’s discussion about bugs and diseases, but many other tomato books do a better job. Again, this was just a brief overview. You can gather more information on all relevant topics by searching Extension and college agriculture websites.
Don’t waste your time. This thing shouldn’t even be offered as a book, Kindle or otherwise. I’m going to see about getting a refund.