Thread: Salads
View Single Post
Old May 17, 2011   #41
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Sicilian Marinated Antipasto

Sicilian Marinated Antipasto

Typical Italian Antipasto has no lettuce and is usually an assortment, of salted fish, marinated vegetables, meats, cheeses, and olives, served as an appetizer. In Sicily, antipasto is revered and almost anytime, you will find a pail or crock filled with the different ingredients, marinating on the counter in the Sicilian kitchen.

Many Sicilian olives are intended for eating rather than oil production, and are known in Italian as "da tavola." The most common varieties are the Bella di Spagna, Santa Agostino and Santa Caterina. All of these are picked while still young and green and allowed to darken to dark violet or black. All edible olives must be cured before they can be eaten--traditionally this would be done by soaking them in water for ten days and then preserving them in brine. These olives can be hard to find in the US so substitute Kalamata olives.

INGREDIENTS

2 Cups Kalamata Olives
2 Cups Large Green Queen Pimento stuffed olives
1 16 OZ can artichoke hearts cut in half lengthwise
30 to 40 grape or cherry tomatoes
1 head radicchio
8 cups (or 2 bags) fresh spinach leaves
30 Fresh, small white cocktail-type onions, peeled
4 Large Green Bell Pepper
4 Large Red Bell Pepper
4 large Yellow or Gold Bell Pepper
4 Large Purple Bell Pepper*
(You can use colors you have available from your garden or store.)
2 Cans Anchovies in oil
2 Large Pomegranates , peeled and seeds separated
Olive Oil
Red Wine Vinegar with Pomegranate Juice

Remove seeds and cut peppers into 1” squares. Add all ingredients to large bowl, Crock or bucket EXCEPT SPINACH AND RADICCHIO & ANCHOVIES

Cover ingredients with a mixture of 1 Cup water & 1 cup Vinegar to 3 cups olive oil (increase basic formula to have enough to cover all ingredients in bowl.) Place a bowl with a large glass of water on top of bowl to insure all ingredients are submerged. Marinate at room temperature at least 24 hours, stirring occasionally. Drain off oil/water/vinegar mixture. Add Spinach, Radicchio and Anchovies, toss and serve.

Every time I make this I am besieged by guests wanting the recipe. Feel free to add more or less of any ingredient or other ingredients of your choice

Last edited by brokenbar; May 18, 2011 at 08:11 AM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote