View Single Post
Old January 12, 2022   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default 2021 dwarf tomato results, and plans for 2022

In spring 2021 I grew one bed of 13 different dwarf tomato varieties, plus 6 dupicates scattered through the garden. The yields are listed after each one. These are roughly in the order of “least likely” to “most likely” to grow again. I was most looking forward to Uluru Ochre, but those were the ones that stayed on the table uneaten the longest, so I probably won’t grow it again.

Dwarf Parfait 0
Sweet Scarlet Dwarf (2) 0
Dwarf Kelly Green (2) 0, 1
Dwarf Arctic Rose 9 (small, deformed, got moldy fast)
Dwarf Jade Beauty 5 (small)
Uluru Ochre (2) 8, 15 (large but didn’t like)
Brandy Fred 1 (large)
Rosella Crimson (2) 5, 5 (small-medium, don’t remember the taste)
Dwarf Red Heart 18 (small, don’t remember the taste)
Sleeping Lady (2) 12, 29 (small, good taste, will try again)
Geranium Kiss 51 (cherry, will try again)
Aftershock 10 (large, will try again)
Coastal Pride Orange (2) 5, 5 (medium, unblemished, good flavor, will try again)

It was a dismal tomato year overall because of the earlier, hotter, and longer heat waves, and maybe from growing tomatoes in the same soil for 3 consecutive years. My best tomatoes came from determinates. I had several indeterminates that produced nothing. I’m still going to have a bed of indeterminates, but probably will try more determinate and dwarf varieties so that I can shade them from afternoon sun.

This was the first year I grew a whole bed of dwarf varieties, and I love the look of these rugose shrubby plants! I'm eager to try more of them. So far, I’ve narrowed the new-to-me varieties for my 2022 garden down to the following.

Sweet Satsuma
Kookaburra Cackle
Pink Passion
Blazing Beauty
Dwarf Purple Heart
Dwarf Golden Heart
Dwarf Purple Reign
Sweet Sister Sunny
Adelaide Festival
Big Green Dwarf
Rosella Purple
Saucy Mary
Sweet Sue
Sweet Splash Electra
Orange Cream
Coorong Pink

I’d be interested in your reviews if you’ve tried any of these.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote