View Single Post
Old July 15, 2019   #45
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I decided to not plant any squash this year because I am tired of fighting the squash bugs. In addition to my regular garden, I also have a fifty foot flower bed, five feet wide; which has been an asparagus bed for three years. The bed is three railroad ties deep with buried soaker hose. It also has a lot of desert succulents planted in it. This year I decided to make the bed more attractive by planting tomatoes, okra, peppers, and a few other edible vegetables in the bed which grow and fruit at different levels. As an after thought I planted some yellow summer squash and Butternut squash seeds thinking I would be lucky if the seeds even germinate so late in the season. The bed is gorgeous and productive from when the asparagus first breaks through the ground until the first frost each year. The squash is growing great but hasn't produced anything yet. I'm hoping the early squash bug season is over.

I'm thinking of planting watermelon in the bed next year for a plant which will spread, but remain at ground level.

Last edited by DonDuck; July 15, 2019 at 08:15 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote