View Single Post
Old May 19, 2016   #23
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKmark View Post
Pure Harvest, I water until just a little bit runs out of the bottom of the container. This is supposed to keep a container from getting salt build up. I try to keep my media consistently moist, so I run mine for about 7-8 minutes, if it's hot a couple times per day. The fruit we have ate this year has been good, some varieties have had good zip.
Your spacing is just about the same as mine, looks like you are on your way. Are you doing two plants per container? I know HG does that plus my Horticulture friend does the same. That worries me, I think my isles would vanish, I want good air flow, he/ they, say I would be okay. LOL

Dewayne, we are getting some cooler weather this week too, I guess my heaters will run more.

Getting ready to pick some Brandywine, a few plants have some beauties.
Mark I am doing two plants per bag, single stem on each of course.

I am trying to remember why I ran the system multiple times throughout the day last year. I must have read that in the HG tomato manual?

It kept the bag moist all the time, but I don't know that it ever allowed the 10% flush they recommend.

HG says a mature plant needs 40-50 ounces per day, so I double that since I have 2 plants per bag. I then just made sure my system ran enough times throughout the day to deliver that.
We had a rainy season last year, so that complicated things a bit when the extra moisture went into the bags. Glad to have the tunnel to prevent that this year.
I think this year I am going to run the system longer in the morning and cut down on the number of times it runs throughout the day.

Last edited by PureHarvest; May 19, 2016 at 07:41 AM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote