View Single Post
Old November 2, 2018   #6
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Meyer lemons just arrived in the supermarket this week. They are only available for a short time in my area. It would be a fun project and as you said basically free short of the supplies.

Now the flip side - I purchased a lemon tree from a reputable nursery several years ago. It was healthy and expertly pruned by one of the knowledgeable workers there. Shortly after I took it home the branches started turning brown/red at the tips. The color started spreading down the plant. It got really bad before it dawned on me that there was a red mite problem. It was almost time to start tomato seeds so I tossed the tree.

Well it was not a good year and neither was the next. I had to move my seed starting area. Removing the host was not enough, eggs live on. I had to clean everything, rug curtains everything. They can live in carpet for years (which no doubt has tons of soil dug in). I brought the mites to my cabin on another plant. and don't grow in that room now. And this was several years ago!

One thing the expert told me at purchase was to use citrus fertilizer only. She showed me a small bottle of a liquid food, which was under $10. You can often find granular citrus fertilizer but I am unsure if it is the same concentration needed for small indoor plants.

So ymmv , watch closely.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote