View Single Post
Old February 6, 2009   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by newgardener_tx View Post
I put about 10-30 seeds in each 4 inch cell two weeks ago and they are all out. I don't have a green house or lights set up in garage yet.
You're a little late, maybe 1 - 2 weeks late but it's being a very cold year so far. January 8-15th is the ideal time to start seeds.

Quote:
I also had problem to grow brandywine last year. 7 feet plants with flowers but no fruits in May-June.
If evening temps are 40F+ then I'd try to plant as early as March 8th and be ready to protect them with blankets, sheets, row cover. Plants should hopefully be 10-12 inches tall at that point and ready to hit the ground running. If the soil is properly amended and fertilized, then most of your fruitset will happen at the end of March, early April.

In Houston, I got about a dozen tomatoes on my Brandywine which I will admit is pretty unusual. For a good -- although not as good as Brandywine -- pink beefsteak, I grow Gregori's Altai and get 20 tomatoes per plant.

Quote:
Does KB and KBX work here? My favorite is cherokee purple which are very productive and flavorable. So I have great hope to their relatives--Cherokee green, Indian stripe, and JP's C spec Tex this year. I would like to grow large tomatos (1lb plus) which are easy to pick and three cherries (black cherry, sungold, sweet 10^6).
Sounds like some of my favorite varieties.

KBX is probably one of the most productive golden/yellow tomato types for here. If you plant it out early enough then I think you'll get some good tomatoes. Suze got 40 KBX off one plant in a container in Elgin, TX last year.

I love Cherokee Purple, Indian Stripe, and JD's Special C-Tex and hope you will too.

Out of 30 plants, I got 6 tomatoes that were about or over a pound. I hope to get more large tomatoes this year. Suze got a lot of large tomatoes in Elgin, TX.

P.S. I pick my tomatoes when they are just blushing.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote