View Single Post
Old March 24, 2016   #9
Jeannine Anne
Tomatovillian™

HI, thank you all. regarding planting closer, picking leaves and staggering I do this all the time and of course it is all good, but there is a move on for smaller mature veggies which is what I am looking for. I have very little space now since I moved and some of my raised beds are in partial shade so it is harder to garden.

I do have a decent sized glass greenhouse which is not in the shade though so I have plenty of room for my tomatoes, cukes, peppers and eggplant.

There are some good named varieties given though and I am very pleased with them like the Pixie cabbage etc.

I have Tom Thunb lettuce, Little Gem lettuce and a miniature full hearted lettuce and I grow mesclun and sprouts so I have that one covered.

I have a long gravel strip at the side of my house that gets the sun. I have a range of soft fruit in tubs down there and I could get some more tubs in there so maybe some beans up poles etc would go there.

When I plant now it is always tempting to try t grow too much and then everything suffers and the shady bits don't help but if I am careful with my planning and my sizes It should work. I think concentrating on the minis would help. I have one raised bed that has the room to put a growing fence at the back so tall growing peas will go there.

I was interested that some one mentioned Hakurei turnips. I love rutabaga but have never been able to take the hot taste of turnips, they always taste like radishes to me. I have tried several types including Hakurei but have never found a sweet one..however.. I have just looked in my growing diary and the year I tried them was the year my garden was left to itself halfway through the season so they were neglected and that could have affected them so I may try them again. Can you tell me how sweet they are as my growing space is precious.

Thank you all for your help, there is some great info here.. and there must be other folks that could use it.

My Miniature Shaded Garden,( self sufficiency on a postage stamp )it sounds like the title of a book LOL

XX Jeannine

Last edited by Jeannine Anne; March 24, 2016 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling error
Jeannine Anne is offline   Reply With Quote