View Single Post
Old September 22, 2017   #499
5haun5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdaddybill View Post
I have the clips. Just thought I might try parafilm cut into 1/4 inch pieces. Might clip too. Also plan to go with a straight cut as it's hard to see the line up on angle cut pieces.
Ok cool. Please report back with the results of the Parafilm and maybe pics if you can as I can't 'see' what you mean and don't know how it would work. I've just been grafting some tomatoes using 1.5mm clips and, even though I'm quite accomplished at bud grafting citrus and peaches / nectarines using Parafilm / Buddy tape I can't for the life of me see how I could use it for tomatoes.

The angled cut gives much more chance of getting a cambium cross or two than a straight cut. Some tomato varieties have, for want of a better term 'thicker bark'. This means their cambium layer could be further in or out from the outside of the stem than the variety you're grafting to. By angling the cut you get a far better chance of a cambium cross. Also you get increased mechanical strength of the join, especially against twisting forces.

I use a cheap head-mounted 5x magnifier (ebay) and either a flashlight or sunlight to check the join through the silicone when I think it's done. I end up adjusting about half of them at this stage.

Good luck!