View Single Post
Old February 3, 2013   #23
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

I don't think this is any different than any other industry when it comes to the mix of the "type" of companies that are in it. There are a number that try to do they very best they can. There are others that do a much poorer job because they just down know any better or their standards are pretty low. Still others are there to make a quick buck and will go onto other things when the quick bucks disappear.

Fortunately the bar that most people start with when it comes to eating tomatoes is low. If you start with a store bought tomato as a standard then I don't think a mouse could crawl under that bar. They decide to grow their own tomato because it looks like fun, to save money or because their Grand Parents did and buy some plants from where the shop otherwise.

As they become more interested in tomato they will go looking for other sources. Some will buy seed from places that are selling unstablized seed and will either learn or be happy with what they get. If they become more sophisticated growers they will find the better small seed sellers.

A good parallel is micro breweries. Their product isn't aimed at the person that just wants to know how cheap they can get drunk this weekend. There are also small breweries that turn out a very poor product but give it a fancy name and get fancy prices for it.

I think it all helps to drive the niche seed business.

Last edited by Doug9345; February 3, 2013 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Add some more
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote