View Single Post
Old June 21, 2013   #32
linzelu100
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
I never had much luck with peppers, they always did poorly for me here, even when we had drip lines in the garden, and soaker tubing along each row of plants. In a good year, I might get a pepper or two from half a dozen plants. This year, I decided when temps got high(near or over 100 each day), I would make sure and water deeply each night. I have 150 feet of soaker hose snaking through the garden(about 16ft x 21 feet) so there are pretty big gaps that aren't directly watered. Now none of my plants had been wilting with watering every 2-3 days, and the ground didn't get too dry in between waterings. But something made me think that maybe with the extreme heat, they might need a little more, they just weren't growing. So I deeply water each night. My peppers are growing very full, and full of flowers and setting fruit. I guess they just need a lot of extra water to be able to take the heat, and to put on fruit too. It could be also, that the moisture evaporating from the moist soil helps them stay cool. I don't know, but I am just glad they are doing so well.
Carrie
That is very interesting thatnks for sharing. I don't water them extra much. I noticed I could never grow herbs well, then I started watering them extra and they all are doing very fine. I'm going to try with the peppers now.

As for my pepper update...they are about the same. I followed the above advice. They are just putting out flowers now (seemed late to me from last year) but there are a good amount of flowers on MOST of the plants but not ALL. Some are just dying for some unknown reason. I have a hunch my dog is running in the pepper bed breaking stems. I have caught him a few times!

I also am experiencing some mysterious pinholes in baby peppers. AHHHHH Virginia bugs will you leave me be this year!? I don't know what's making the pin holes in the peppers.

Lindsey
linzelu100 is offline   Reply With Quote