View Single Post
Old December 13, 2012   #15
ArcherB
Tomatovillian™

I'm in Kyle, just south of you. The most productive tomato I've grown is Coyote. There were so many of these things that I grew tired of them and finally pulled the plant as the vines were taking over the plants near it! For weeks I could feel them popping under my feet as I waked in the yard. They weren't bad, but after eating hundreds of them, I had no urge to pick them.

A better tomato for me was Matt's Wild Cherry. Produced more than I could eat and the flavor was awesome. Very tart, little tomatoes. If you don't like tart, you may want to pass on these.

If you are not into cherries, there are many varieties you can try. Tome Sol did extremely well for me last year. It was the only tomato my wife would eat and it produced very well. It's a yellow-when-ripe, so the birds don't mess with it. It's the only tomato I can leave on the vine until ripe. One plant produced 64 tomatoes this year. If you want reds, German Head, Crnkovic Yugoslavian, and Hunt's Family Favorite are some of my favorites. They all produce well and tomatoes are awesome. Dino Eggs was another good producer in my garden. These are green-when-ripe with stripes. These make a great sauce when combined with Tome Sol. It's a yellow-green sauce that tastes great and the color is a real eye-opener.

As for blacks, JD's Special C-Tex has done well for me, but nothing beats the flavor of a Cherokee Purple.

If you need seed for any of these, let me know.
ArcherB is offline   Reply With Quote