Thread: BT worm killer
View Single Post
Old April 11, 2011   #3
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
I am sorry if a similar topic was started before but I have some major worm problems with my corns. Last year I used BT worm killer on cucumber plants and it worked very well for me.
My first question is: Does BT worm killer work on corns as well?
Second question: I couldn't find an expiration date on the container and I bought it last October. Is the BT worm killer still good or should I buy a new one (also I am not sure what the maximum temperature is that is still good for the bacteria)?
Third question: I was out of town for a few days and when I came back I found out that my corns were highly damaged; however they are still forming ears. I found some worms hiding and feeding underneath some of the forming ears. I killed them however I am not sure if they eat the corn stems on the inside. Should I give up my corns or keep growing them?
1st bt kills caterpillars not worms. i think your problem is the corn borer? it is a caterpillar and bt will kill it. bt will kill any caterpillar including butterfly cats so use it carefully around milkweed or other butterfly host plants.

is your bt a concentrated liquid? mine is and i have been using it since around 1994 or 1995. as long as you store it in a cool dry location i think it lasts indefinitely. if you kept it in a garage where temps can get to 100, i see you're in flordia, then maybe it has deteriorated. my bt does not have a expiration date on it.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote