View Single Post
Old April 26, 2017   #15
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonRossy View Post
Ok I have a question here. I have two 10' x 3' x 18" boxes filled with Pro Mix to grow my tomatoes in. I have used a granular slow release fertilizer along with Epsom salts and lime. Is this the recommended method. These are not SWC and the bottom of the boxes are open to the soil below.
Then once flowering begins, I start with a diluted liquid fertilizer every week. My question is how much granular fertilizer should I be adding and should lime be added vs gypsum? The other question is about the fish/kelp fertilzer which I believe is added as a foliar application? Should it be used in con★★★★★★★★ with my set up? Thanks, Sharon
Sharon, what is the analysis of the granular? What is it made from?

Both limestone and gypsum will supply calcium. Gypsum also supplies sulphur. Limestone also supplies magnesium (dolomitic supplies more than calcitic).
So promix comes with limesone already mixed in to buffer the acidic peatmoss, but it does not last all season.
How much lime and epsom did you apply per plant?
Id use whichever is the finest particle between the gypsum and limestone because finer particels will become available quicker. Either will supply calcium, and your epsom will cover your magnesium and sulfur. Your granular will give your NPK.
What is the liquid you switch to at flowering?
It gets complicated when you have lots of different ingredients.
You could just use your granular, calcium nitrate, and epsom and call it a day as it will supply everything you need.

Last edited by PureHarvest; April 26, 2017 at 08:08 AM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote