View Single Post
Old October 16, 2013   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
thank you Doug and Carolyn for your answers! next question, once I have F2 seed, how many to grow out of those to get a good idea of whether there is something worth selecting and trying to stabilize going forward. As many as I have room for?
KO
Yes, sd Darren jut said, as many as you have room for. And that can be a problem.

I remember when Tad Smith sent me a three way cross and told me I had a 1/64 chance of what he described to me so Iput out 12 plants and bingo, one of them was IT.

I love statistics.

The BINGO turned out to be what I named Tad, and I sent seeds to Craig L and Tad crossed with brandywine in his garden which led to Little Lucky, Lucky Cross and all the other varieties that came out of that initial accidental cross pollination. Only two folks have seeds for Tad; Craig and myself, and that's the way it's going to be.

And don't forget that if you make a selection from those F2 plants that when you save the F3 seeds from those fruits, you have to select again, and again, and that's just with the one selection.

Make two or three selections and you'll be in deep trouble with room to grow enough plants.

And with Captain Lucky being the male parent I do think you'll get a LOT of genetic segregation with the F2 plants as well as with any other selections you make/

Carolyn