Thread: The Whole Okra
View Single Post
Old August 24, 2019   #53
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDuck View Post
I want to save seed from my okra this year. Some pods escaped my attention when I was picking and grew to giant pods. They seem to have stopped growing and I am debating removing them and drying them off the plants. The plants with the largest pods have really slowed down in production and I hope to restart them by removing the large pods. Are the seeds in the large pods developed well enough to germinate next spring without drying on the plant?
In my experience, provided there is adequate space between plants, allowing a single pod per plant to ripen does not noticeably diminish yield. Depending upon how many plants you have & how much seed you intend to save, it might be best to remove all over-ripe pods except for the largest. I am saving seed now, and the plants which have one pod left for seed have remained as productive as those which have been picked clean.

The forecaster whispered the "f" word for northern Wisconsin, which was enough to turn a few leaves brown in my okra patch. That's "f" as in "frost", by the way. The patch is in a sheltered area on the South side of my garage, so I should still get several weeks of good production.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote