View Single Post
Old March 14, 2021   #22
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Another good use of a pole is use your corn stalks. Get seeds at the stalk base a few weeks before picking, or transplant sprouts a week before the ears are ready. I did not seed last year until after they were picked and got a decent haul, but 3-4 weeks earlier would have made more. The only help I gave them was a few florida weaves. I have tried before to plant beans earlier while the corn is growing, but it didn't seem to work well. Maybe I'll try that again sometime but I like corn rows clean to walk through, not tangled in bean stalks.

I don't know about the garlic. I haven't tried it particularly close at the same time. I grew pole beans right after garlic in my garlic bed a couple years back. I can't recall if they were seed or soil block sprouts but they had to go in pretty soon after the garlic came out around July 1. They grew, they had beans. So I don't know, regarding the companion planting relationship.

I just saw a pic of that or I wouldn't have even remembered it. That is a tomato cage (CRW cage) in there, one or a few lashed together.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03.JPG (166.2 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 04.JPG (168.0 KB, 65 views)
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote