Thread: Best Taster
View Single Post
Old June 28, 2020   #18
Volvo
Tomatovillian™

Which brings me to remember a Greek Mate May He Rest in Peace i had who resided in Brisbane , who would always drop by for a visit everytime he was in town.
He also loved his Vegygardening and Tomato growing , tried to give him a variety of seed when i was into my Tomato growing in full swing but he always refused saying he has one variety and wont change it fer quids!! His Doumatis (Tomatos) were the best and from the old Country being Greece.
We have many Greek Members onbaord ??..

Anyway That was his taste and had to respect him for it ey , tried his variety but didnt do nothing to tickle my tastebuds afraid .
Which backs up what others have said about taste being an individual thing ey..

Being a tad bored withhaving to stay indoors as much as possible to maintain social distancing due to this Caroona Virus thing annoying the Bejayzus out of everyone thought ide have a yak regarding Greeks due to my Mate i earlier mentioned .

During a Beer or two or three we would always talk about how Greeks had spread all over the World , visit any Country and you will find a Greek . Back o Bourke , other side of the Black Stump here , Woolamakanyia , turn over a rock and youll find a Greek having a Nap or a Crap lol

Wasnt a Regional Town out West here you wouldnt find a Fush n Chup shop , Resturaunt or Cafe by the Name of , The Blue n White , The Bon Ton , The paragon , Pathagen (last one a fake lol ).

Which brings me to prove the above to be true and if the Moderator feels ive rambled on too much , feel free to delete this post ..
Few hundred years back in Greece and its islands one of the main labours was the "Abbelli" handfull of Acres where they Grew Vegys ,Watermelons and Olive Groves were known as the Abelli.
Where a young Greek by the name of Manolis toiled ever so hard alongside his Dad tilling and Growing whatever it was that was needed for that year or season.
Manolis was one of the few young Greek lads that never complained but just head down and did the best to help his Dad.
Offcourse this did not go unoticed with his Father who planned a different life for his Son , and one day called him over and said to him
"Manoli " I have booked you passage on the Mighty Patris (A ship which transported most Greek Migrants Worldwide then ) To go Stay and work for your Uncle Panayiotis Skatoskothokopolis in America , he is a very succesfull Fruiterer and will look after you and help you also tobecome succesfull.

And so it passed with a small suitcase and a tear in the eye Manolis sailed for America on the Mighty Patris where he toiled hard for his Uncle ,learned the trade ever so well to the point where one day his Uncle Panayiotis Skatoskothokopolis Called manolis over and said

" Manolis , you have worked so hard next to me ever since yourve arrived here that i am going to set you up in your own Fruit Shop so you can be sussesfull also..
Manolis with a tear in his eye Looks up at his Uncle and says , "Uncle i have a confession to make , i dont want to be a Fruiterer but do want to go to California to be a Cowboy and its been a Dream of mine fer yonks".

So with a sadness but gratitude his Uncle gives him his dues moneywise , a hug and sets him off towards his destination.

And in truth Manolis became a Very Famouse Cowboy in America , more Famouse than John Wayne , Audie Murphy , or Clint Eastwoould , He Drove catlle Herds from one end of America to the other till one day Manolis and his crew were herding a very large herd of Longhorns between two Valleys, One leg in the Stirrup , the other straddled over the horn of his saddle whilst strumming on his Bouzouki and singing " A Straddly Young Stockman lay Dying ".

When a Commotion like no other could be heard and he looks over one of the hills beside this Valley to see a Very large lot of Indians bearing down on them hollering a screaming .
Manolis and his Lads did all they could to stem off the Attack but to no avail , when an Indiam with a large headress rides alongside him with Warpaint marked all over his Noggin , Screams and leaps from his Horse onto Manolis's Horse , off the Horse both were thrown wrestling on the ground ,beating shyte out of each other when finally the Indian Chief gets the better of Manolis , straddles utop of him , Draws this almighty Buffalo Knife and about to thrust it into Manolis's Chest when Manolis lets out a Scream and yells "Theos Ke Panayia " and does the sign of the cross ,across his Chest!!.
The Indian aghast Drops the knife , Lifts Manolis by his Shirt and yells " RE Gammotto Ellinas Isse " !!??.
Now you might just have to find a Greek to translate these last two lines for yous but it will prove That indeed Greeks can be found Worldwide no sweat ey
And Your Better Best
Volvo is offline   Reply With Quote