View Single Post
Old January 13, 2013   #6
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Hi Carolyn!

I think that the two diseases on plants near the White Rabbit were Fusarium and then Early Blight. (However, I wouldn't bet my first born on that as I didn't have them tested, only compared them to online photos and descriptions.)

I really had no knowledge of how White Rabbit did in anyone else's garden, only mine. But in mine it outshone every other variety. (Out of twenty varieties) When the other tomato plants around it were dead and dying, it was cavorting wildly through their dead carcasses!

That's why I marked it in my notes to be disease tolerant, at least in my little nook of the world.
Although I don't think I have soil-borne diseases this far north, Juliet (F1) consistently resists the plagues that always do hit around here, and shows uncommon vigor growing in my garden. That's why this year I am going to experiment with grafting onto it for rootstock. I just don't see the need to go to the expense of paying the high price for the "official" rootstock seeds from Johnny's. Two years of side-by-side grafting experiments have been inconclusive at best. In general, I'd say the grafted ones do slightly better, but each year my best couple of plants of any grafted variety (I've tried several) have been the ungrafted "control" plants. That's "best" in terms of general vigor, as well as production.
In light of that, you might be tempted to experiment with grafting onto some of your White Rabbit plants as rootstock. Why not?
Shawn