View Single Post
Old July 26, 2013   #54
kath
Tomatovillian™

Sharon, since people post pics of seedlings I think greenies also make great photos! When mine start to ripen, within a week I'm giving them away- it happens fast! Your turn's around the corner.

Ella, ed50 shared the seeds with me but I don't remember if he mentioned his source.

Marsha, I have 2 paper plates of Hugh's Black seeds drying in the basement already and there is at least one more bagged fruit still on the vine, so I'll have plenty of extra seeds and I'm very happy to share them.

I've been thinking that my posts may be coming across as too negative when I just want to paint an accurate picture of how each plant performs in my garden this year. Guess I have to assume that readers know that their experience with these varieties could be the polar opposite of mine, right?

In previous years I was careful to wait until I had a really nice looking fruit before I posted a picture or I posed it with the best side showing but I think that's just as misleading as glossy catalog listings. After a few years of growing out hundreds of varieties I've gotten a bit callous and ruthless in my outlook, which is one of the reasons I considered not doing this thread. Sometimes it seems folks get their feelings hurt about their favorites and their seeds and I don't want to offend anyone, especially those who have generously shared seeds with me. I think the conditions here and the way I grow my plants just makes a lot of them produce even more ugly fruits than what's normal for the variety. Fortunately I'm finding some that appear to be more tolerant than most, year after year, and that also taste great to me!

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote