Thread: Al-Kuffa
View Single Post
Old May 1, 2011   #5
tedln

mdvpc,

I'm one of the gardeners you generously sent some Al-Kuffa seed to. As I told you in a PM, I got zero germination from the first six seeds I planted in three cells. I then bleach treated my remaining two seeds and planted them in the same cells as the original seed. Those two seeds germinated after about fourteen days. After one more week, one of the original seed I planted five weeks earlier germinated in the same cell as one of the bleach treated seed. I had intended planting the seedlings from both cells, but the seedlings were damaged by an unexpected frost. The single seedling was killed. The double seedling survived barely without any leaves. Both the original seed/seedling and the treated seed/seedling produced new leaves and were planted out on March 15. I left them as they germinated without attempting to separate them. They are doing beautifully with both plants at about 20" tall, looking like a single plant with a double main stem. Both are now generating bloom buds.

Not expecting them to survive or do well, I planted them too close to some Tumbling Tom, hybrid plants and I can't realistically expect the Al-Kuffa seed to not be cross pollinated by the Tumbling Toms. I may be asking you for more seed for next year.

Thank you so very much for the seed. It has been a fun experience.

Ted