View Single Post
Old January 24, 2008   #43
clarenceboy
Tomatovillian™

La Ratte are expensive because they are the most sought after potatoes in the high end restaurant trade. Gardenwise, no one can explain why they are more espensive than Austriant Crescent , for example. But then, can you explain me the price of french shallots? A bit more because of productivity issues I, even up to double the price of regular onions, I can understand, but half a pound for the price of ten pounds of onions...no way. But hey!! this is why we gardeners are lucky fellows...

As for the SSE's seed potato price, take a deep breath...fingerlings have more eyes than most regular potatoes, and SSE's are the best I have seen in my life. That 5 pound bag is suppose to plant roughly 50 feet of row. Hoew about 150 feet? There were so many eyes on the ones I gort last year that I cut these VERY SMALLISH baby potatoes in 2 or 3 and got a bumper harvest anyway. It is almost february, I am a STEAK AND POTATO MAN or whatever with potatoes, and I still have plenty to make it to april, maybe more.

In the 22 years that I have gardened, and my potato harvest was close to a 1000 pounds, just to give you an idea, I NEVER HAD OR SAW SUCH GOOD POTATO SEEDS, WITH SO MANY EYES, WHICH ARE THE NAME OF THE GAME.
clarenceboy is offline   Reply With Quote