View Single Post
Old March 25, 2015   #7
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cushing View Post
Rockwool is a growing medium used in hydroponics. I use it (even though I don't grow hydroponically) because it works great for germinating seeds. I use rockwool for tomatoes and Oasis Grow Cubes for peppers. In the picture at the top of my recent sprouts, you'll see a whole slab of rockwool cubes. I just break apart or cut apart the cubes when I'm ready to plant them in soil (I use coco coir). Another reason I use rockwool is because I sell hundreds of plant starts to a local plant shop that has a large number of hydroponics customers.

I keep the tray filled with water. The cubes remain moist, which aids in the germination and subsequent growth. I did an experiment of different pre-soak methods, with no pre-soaking as the control, and found it unnecessary to pre-soak my seeds when using either rockwool or oasis grow cubes.
I use rockwool to germinate my peppers works great. This year i tried Root Zone peat plugs and they work even better for the tomatoes than when i used rockwool. Another brand is Root Riot either way they are pretty much the same and are also used in hydroponics.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote