View Single Post
Old April 8, 2007   #6
Gimme3
Tomatovillian™

Tania....i,...like you...am amazed and appreciative of how a young onion transplant can take on Life, an do Well...against cold.

I have transplanted Yellow hybrid Granex at their tooth-pick diameters before, and recieved in return...wonderful 4 -inch bulbs.

The problem in responding...is your locale vs. mine. We both know...that Cultivar brings tremendous specivity to the table. So... lemme jus say this...a very young..Onion seedling is Quite adept at handlin temps down to about 29 degrees an remarklealably be fine.As it gets jus a little older..it can handle temps down to around 26,..then later on...23 ....but as it gets out of it's Youth, an starts gettin an Idea of what it was born to Do...it gets a lot less tolerant of temperature idiosynchrosies, an does what nature tells it to do.

In your region, as well as mine, ...cultivar selection for optimum climate/day length is Paramount...but in my thinkin...a very young onion seedling...aint lived long enough to know what it is....an they All...handle cold, Well, when young.

Onions are a passion...here...younger than others...but still...a Great one...)))

One other thing to ponder...there is a lot of academic research that indicates that an onion that is allowed to grow in soil temps of less than 50 degrees F. for more than 2 weeks, will be far more apt to bolt an throw out scape...thinkin its in its second year of life. I'm still tryin to figure out if a Yellow Granex operates that way, here, but it seems like its a point of concern...to growers North of about 36 degrees L.

Lets keep Learnin...)))