View Single Post
Old September 10, 2012   #1
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

Default Common Sense A frame solar greenhouse!

Lets look at why I think the A frame greenhouse is the best and easiest to build! First lets see where to build this greenhouse n reference to the sun!
+++
The main wall that is exposed to the sun should have a perpendicular line directly from its surface wall to the noon day sun! the A frame should set on a 1 or two foot high perimiter frame made of wood or even treated lumber since it hits the ground! Since a A frame is the strongest structure made of triangles two by 4s are plenty strong and cheap!
+++
The size depends on you. The 2 foot border givs the height of the center of the greenhouse more head room even with a 8 foot 2by 4 forming the A frame. I suggest a 2 by 10 which gives a nice 10 to 12 foot wide A frame with whatever length you want! once you decide to make the triangle for your A frame its easy to assemble!.
+++
Make one A just like the letter A and use that for a form for all the rest! two feet or 18 inches appart works great! I put chicken wire over the whole greenhouse to support the plastic and also for climbing vines either outside in the summer or inside for the winter! Where you put the cross part of the A will determine a sorage area over 6 feet from the floor so plan on that!
+++
The advantages of your new A frame solar greenhouse are many!! Insulate the north side of the A frame using a white or reflective materia! This allows the light to reflect back onto the plants unlike hoop houses that the light asses thropugh and is wasted. te exra height of the A frame captures more reflected light! the storage area above your head can be sealed with lastic for the winter keeping in more heat! The steep slant on the A frame gives no problems with heavy snow! Paint the boards white for more reflected light!
+++
For A $100 you can make a 10 by 12 greenhouse . One of mine with the 1 foot border is 12 by 16 using 2 by 4 by 10's.. I wish I would have used the 2 foot boarder for more head room! Always use a 6 mill for the outter plastic and a 4 for the inner! Double plastic and 200 gallon of water storage will give you a solar greenhouse that will extend ou season two months in fall and spring. If you wach and use common sense plants will keep alive all winter with temp. staying above 30 All winter! I just put up another small 8 by 12 A frame in hours using 2 by 4 by 8's. Good Luck! Any Questions???