Thread: fusarium wilt
View Single Post
Old May 9, 2011   #6
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I think some varieties just tolerate it better than others and also the severity of the fusarium from one bed to the next makes a difference. There are varieties that just can't grow anywhere in my garden even though I have planted them in spots where other tomatoes did great. I have two or three beds that the infection is so severe in that no tomato lasts very long but some can produce a decent crop before dying while others will die within two weeks of going into those beds. Even in the bed with the least severe infection, the tomatoes usually end up dying of fusarium; but at least in that bed the ones with good tolerance last for quite a long time and produce a lot of fruit. Another thing that seems to really make a difference is the temperature. Until the soil really starts warming up fusarium is not usually a problem and in the fall if I can get a plant to survive til the weather cools down then it will usually last until it freezes if Late Blight or TSWV don't get it. That is one of the reasons I go to such lengths to grow fall tomatoes. It really is nice to just watch one grow and not have to wonder if the fusarium will let it live long enough to make fruit. I get to worry instead if it will make the fruit before it gets frozen.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote