View Single Post
Old May 25, 2019   #351
PlainJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
PJ , from the open flowers I see on the Kangaroo Paw, it is what it will be colour wise. From its size it would be one of the A. flavidus hybrids, which tend to be the tougher but generally least colourful of the paws. They can take a fair bit of punishment but do love full sun - and I mean full sun in our summers down under, topping out over 100F. Do you have or can you get a metal 20 litre (roughly 5 US gallons) drum or something similar with the ends cut out? I ask because the black spotting on the leaves is a fungal infection we call black ink (or similar) down here and the the best way to treat it is to wait until the plant has finished flowering cut off flower spikes , place drum around plant scrunch up some newspaper and lite it, burning most of the growth to ground level. Normally kick away like mad then. Could do with better air flow around it too.
Thanks for all this info, Whwoz. It is baking away in full sun but there is no escaping our humidity here in Florida. That’s contributing to the fungal problem, I’m sure.
So the idea is to burn off the leaves without scorching the roots?