View Single Post
Old October 12, 2018   #11
MissMoustache
Tomatovillian™

Location: Cold hardy zone 4b-5a, Heat zone 4-5, Sunset zone 43

Im using this as sort of an online garden journal...so this thread may get very detailed!

Planting the first L-shaped bed

Once the rain stopped I raked the bed over again. It's still damp but since my native soil is basically beach sand it drains really fast.
I topped the bed up with some of this garden soil from Just Natural. It's better than the Miracle Grow cement I tried this spring...but still not as nice as homemade compost. It was on sale for cheap though so I figured I'd try it. I keep adding manure from my neighbors bunnies, bagged manure from the store, leaves, and grass clippings... eventually I'll have good soil in these beds...

I sprinkled in a little Garden Tone and raked it smooth.

I then planted the back part of the L (the long part) with a bunch of older seeds for greens...most were between 3-5 years old and some packets were even water damaged. I don't know what will grow so I just chucked it all in, topped with a bit more garden soil mix and watered. If I'm lucky we'll get a winter salad garden this year!

I was expecting garlic today (not here yet) and the shallots and onions came early. So the front part of this bed got planted with potato onions, grey shallots, red and yellow shallots. They're planted about 6 inches apart each way and just beneath the soil, roughly 1/2 to an inch covering.

I also tucked a few of the Egyptian walking onions into the salad part of the bed.

I still need to run to the hardware store this weekend for PVC, 1x4s, row cover, and straw. Then this bed is finished!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181012_155036.jpg (336.2 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181012_150845.jpg (711.8 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181012_152157.jpg (334.6 KB, 143 views)

gwendolyninthegarden.blogspot.com
MissMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote