View Single Post
Old July 24, 2016   #75
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardencat999 View Post
This will be my first year participating in the swap, and I'm super excited!

I will mostly be participating in the legume swap, but I do have a question about the tomato swap: does anyone ever enter hybrids (or de-hybridization attempts) or varieties with some beefy disease resistance? I'm looking to start a breeding project next year with the goal of breeding a tomato variety that tastes good AND incorporates disease resistance (early and late blight, nematodes, etc) which seems to only be in the hybrids currently. (I'm also going for something that doesn't have that awful 'u' gene, but that's a different story.)

I have some good heirloom lines to start with, but I need tomato varieties with the disease resistance genes as well. Let me know if anyone is thinking of sending in a disease resistant variety!
People have sent in known F1 hybrids as bonus seeds. Most people do not have enough to send 100 seeds into a category, but there is no reason that if you have that many that you could not do so.

People do send in seeds into the experimental category that are either seeds from their own crosses or at their attempts at de-hybridizing. That is what this category is for and those seeds would be most welcome.