View Single Post
Old August 30, 2007   #31
vegomatic
Tomatovillian™

With about 50 varieties of tomato seeds here to choose from after 5 or so years of gathering, I'm just about satisfied. There's still thousands more left to try and I can't quite quell my curiousity, so half a dozen or more new ones always seem to creep in each year. Almost all are OP, so with just an occasional small seed-save, I can keep my own seed stocks replenished.

Sungold is just about the only variety that I have to make out an order for. I guess that's why I decided to try to get a decent offspring from it. All my previous attempts gave only sub-par fruits. Mostly too tart, even to being inedible. Or oh-so sweet, but so tiny in fruit size and production as to not be worth the effort. Darn few seeds in those tiny ones to try to grow that line out further.

This year was exceptional in both the variety of fruit shape as well as taste. None have been duds, but neither have any been close copies of the original.

So, I'm still stuck buying seeds, because as you say, there's nothing else quite like that Sungold flavor and it's a must-have in our gardens.

I've saved enough seeds to continue the tests, but I've stopped putting the day's picking of each segregation on their own plates. They're all good enough to lump together with no worries of a super-tart "dud" ruining a handful. Actually, it's a lot of fun popping a few of each into the mouth all at once. It's a real mix of flavors!

I'm more than a little suprised that your growouts seem so similar to the original, while mine are all unique variations on the theme. Maybe we should exchange some seeds!

-Ed
vegomatic is offline   Reply With Quote