View Single Post
Old March 10, 2018   #19
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I've decided to wait until the end of the week to set out my first plants for a couple of reasons. First my tulip poplar is just starting to open some of its buds which means I would be planting earlier than usual for that critical indicator for me. Second the weather forecast is for four nights in the 30s starting Monday night with Wednesday night forecast of 33 meaning the danger of frost damage would be really high. Third reason is my plants though healed and hardened off adequately are still fairly small and may not handle the high winds we are having right now. My last reason is after 40 years of growing tomatoes the advantages of setting plants out a bit too early are just not that great. I have found that over the years it has usually worked out much better to wait another week when in doubt about a plant out date.

I was planning to set out a bed of tomatoes today and then another one in a week or so but I think I will just wait and get the second bed ready and plant them both at the end of the week.

The last couple of batches of grafts did not succeed at nearly the high rate of the first few so I guess that incredible run of luck ran out.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote