View Single Post
Old November 5, 2011   #12
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
A google search yields Calabaza de Castilla or, simply, Castilla squash, but only nothing from seed vendors. Seems to be a regional Mexican variety. My avatar is Musque de Provence, which is widely available. They sure look similar, though. If my memory serves, MDP is not a French heirloom. Rather, it was introduced by a seed company out of Chicago. I suppose there's a chance that it was simply renamed, but it's hard to say.

MDP is undeniably beautiful, but it's a rampant vine and not all that productive. I would have gotten four or five fruit from one hill this year, but I lost several to raccoons. I ended up with one undersized squash for all the effort! Having said this, if you have the room, it's well worth growing.
Thanks, Fortyonenorth! I found "Fairytale" seed at Johnny's with a similar picture and description. I'm trying to decide if it's worth planting or just buying from the store. My sunny space isn't that available and I'd rather use it for tomatoes, cucumbers, beans and maybe a trombocino or costata.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote